Sunday, June 8, 2014

Adventures in Infographics!

This week we learned about infographic designs.  It has definitely been an adventure.  After spending hours looking through different infographics online and reading about displaying data in our textbook, I feel like I know a "little" bit about what a good infographic should look like (at least at a quick glance).  After looking through different infographics and reading about how to properly display data I tried my hand at a couple of different infographic template sites.  The first one I tried was whatabout.me.  I could not get that one to work, I could not even get past the 2nd page...much less look at templates. This was disappointing because I was excited about trying that one out.  I then moved on to piktochart.com.  On piktochart I found a couple different templates but the one that caught my eye was the Father's Day infographic.  I decided to create a simple infographic in memory of my Dad for Father's Day.  While using the template I found it hard to manipulate some of the text boxes to move them and/or resize them, some of them would move fine but others did not.  Another thing that I would have liked to have done was add one extra box to the flow chart in the 2nd section of the infographic but was not sure how or if I could do that.  I'm sure if I spend more time playing with the templates I will be able to figure more out.  One think I will remember when teaching students about infographics is to keep the information clear and concise, less is more.  Also, prior to choosing to create the infographic on my Dad I had tried a couple other topics but they were not as easy, so it's better to create an infographic on something you are interested in.


No comments:

Post a Comment